How the application handles the exchanged files?
For security purposes, Secure Chat doesn’t store any files in-app. Instead, it helps you to locate shared files quickly by listing them in “Shared Media and Files” folders. Such folders are created on two levels – per account (contains all the transferred files through the application) and per chat (contains all exchanged files within a chat).
Access shared files
- To access all shared files through the app, go to Menu > Settings > Account. Tap Shared media and files to open the folder.
- To access the exchanged files within a particular chat, open the chat screen and tap on top right. On the Options menu, tap Shared Media and Files.
Managing shared files
The files in the Shared media and files folders are ordered by date, and you can perform some basic actions on them.
- Search for a file – tap .
- Filter by type – tap at the top of your screen, and select the desired file type to filter out results/files displayed.
- Delete, Forward or Extract – tap , and select the corresponding option from the drop-down list.
The same three options are also accessible by long-pressing the file name.
Supported file types
Bear in mind that you can open only the files in supported formats. Secure Chat supports photo, video, and audio files. Therefore, if you receive a file of an unsupported type (e.g., txt, docx, .xlsx) it will be listed in the Shared Media and Files folder, but you can not open it: you must extract your files and thus decrypt it for further use. To do so:
- Save (extract) the file on your device.
- Choose a location to store the file and tap at top right.
- After saving the file, exit Secure Chat and go to the file location.
- Choose an application to open the file with.