This article will guide you through the basics of using Secure Chat including:
Creating a user account
Logging in to Secure Chat
Setting up a Security Lock passcode
Adding your first contact
Writing text messages and making calls
Create a user account
If you already have a user account, proceed to the Login section.
The first time you open a Secure Pack application, you will be prompted to sign up or login. Your user account is a unique identity used to authenticate to all Secure Pack services; it serves as your email address in Secure Email and chat ID in Secure Chat.
To create a user account:
1. Open Secure Chat. Tap SIGN UP.
2. Tap to enter your First Name, and Last Name.
3. Select a domain name. This will form part of your email address and your ID for Secure Chat.
4. Tap to enter the Email Username portion of your email address.
5. Tap to enter an alternative email address. This is used for password reset.
6. Enter a new password.
7. Tap Confirm password, and re-enter your password.
8. Tap the SIGN UP button to proceed with your account creation. If the email address you have chosen exists, you will be prompted to choose again.
Log into Secure Chat
- Open the app.
- Tap LOG IN.
- Enter your username and password, and tap LOGIN.
Set your Security Lock
You can set up either a password or PIN code to unlock the app and access the app data.
- Choose from the following options:
- PIN – at least eight digits
- Password – consists of numbers and letters, between 8 and 30 characters
- Enter your Security Lock and re-enter to confirm it.
- Tap Set.
Security Lock takes effect immediately.
Secure Chat uses the security concept of only allowing communication between approved and consenting users. Therefore, to exchange messages or make calls with other Secure Chat users, first, you need to become contacts.
1.Tap to open the Contacts tab.
2.Tap to add your first contact.
3. Type the email address of the user. You can optionally add a name or an avatar. Tap .
An invitation to connect in Secure Chat is sent to the person.
You can see the contact in your address book, their status is Pending. While waiting for the person to approve your request, you can only email them.
Once they accept the invitation, their status icon changes to (Secure) and you can exchange encrypted messages and make secure calls.
Start chatting and making calls
Tap on the contact you’d like to communicate with. The Chat Screen appears on the display.
Once you start writing, the chat session becomes encrypted and the color of the padlock icon changes from red to green. You can protect further your text communication using the OTR Authorization. See instructions.
The Chat screen your starting point for all types of communication.
- To send a text message, type it in the specified text field.
- To make a call, tap .
- To record and send an audio message, tap .
- To send an encrypted file, photo, video, or share contact, tap.
- To set the Message History Mode, tap.
- To access all messaging features tap .
Now you can exchange encrypted messages and make safe calls. We have several more tutorials that you can look at to learn more. If you are a first-time user see Navigation, chat and call management and Secure Chat Features.